08 June . 2018
Elyson opens tennis courts at Elyson House
In honor of our new tennis courts, here are 10 fun facts about one of the world’s most popular sports:
- Most historians agree that tennis was invented by French monks in the 11th or 12th century. Instead of racquets, they hit the ball with their hands. A rope strung across the courtyard served as the net.
- Later players used webbed gloves or solid paddles. This evolved into a piece of webbing attached to a handle, which eventually became the modern racquet.
- The first tennis balls were covered in leather, and were stuffed with wool or hair. Today’s tennis balls are made of a hollow, two-piece rubber shell filled with pressurized gas and covered with felt.
- The length of a standard tennis court is 78 feet. The height of the net is approximately three feet.
- To win a game, a player must score four points. A player needs to win six games to win a set, and must win two sets to win a match.
- The types of tennis shots are forehand, backhand, serve, volley, lob and drop shot.
- Over 1.2 billion people play tennis every year.
- Wimbledon, the world’s oldest and most prestigious tennis tournament, employs Rufus, a Harris hawk, to keep pigeons away from the courts. Sorry, we don’t have any hawks at Elyson, at least not on the staff.
- The longest tennis match in history, played at Wimbledon in 2010, and lasted 11 hours and 5 minutes. If your match lasts that long, you may want to take a break at Elyson Cafe.
- The shortest match, also at Wimbledon, was played in 1922 and lasted just 23 minutes.
Ready to hit the courts with your new neighbors? Find a home here and we'll see you on the courts soon!
Previous Post5 things to know about screen time – and how the experts manage their own kids’ screen time
Older PostDo school districts affect property values? Our infographic has some answers
Want More Information?
- 2019 (61)
- 2018 (127)
- 2017 (46)
- 2016 (44)